Re: *Occur in buf*?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: *Occur in buf*?
Date: 25 Jul 2002 11:01:17 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: *Occur in buf*?"
> * Sent on Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:37:38 -0400
> * Honorable Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:42:16AM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
> > > IWBNI M-x occur created an *Occur in buf* buffer so that I wouldn't have
> > > to do this, rather than *Occur*.
> >
> > I like your idea.
> > unless there are objections, I will install the appended patch.
>
> The reason why it's common for commands such as occur to use a global
> buffer is that otherwise you end up with lots of random buffers
> cluttering up things.

this is why I bound 'z' to kill-this-buffer.
as for random buffer clutter, there is midnight.el for that.

> I would suggest to instead make a C-u prefix to occur create a unique
> buffer, and keep the default behavior as-is.

I thought about it.  occur uses the prefix argument to indicate the
number of lines, so this is not quite feasible.

> Also note that a more general solution is the `clone-buffer' command,
> which duplicates the current buffer with a unique name; in some modes
> such as info this is bound to M-n (in occur though, M-n is bound to
> `occur-next', though that command actually doesn't seem to work).

I can add an `occur-rename' command (bound to `r') that would rename the
occur buffer as proposed and bind `clone-buffer' to 'c'.
do you like this better?
then the effect of my original patch can be accomplished by adding
`occur-rename' to `occur-mode-hook'.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>