Re: desktop.el problem [Re: X-Symbol 4.0e; Emacs port (fwd)]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: desktop.el problem [Re: X-Symbol 4.0e; Emacs port (fwd)]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:07:10 -0600 (MDT)

    Then, it's a general problem of desktop.  If a user define a
    new charset in a session, and there's a string containing
    that charset in kill-ring, he always fails in the next
    session while recovering the previous session.

Could you explain why this fails?  What does the printed representation
of such a string look like, and how does it depend on having the character
set loaded?

Perhaps we should change the printed representation of such strings so
that they can be read back in all circumstances.  If characters in
user-defined character are written as \-sequences, would that do it?

    It seems that the only way to solve it is to save also those
    charset definitions.  But, saving it in .emacs.desktop is
    useless.  We must save it in a file that is loaded before
    .emacs.desktop is loaded.

Could you explain the reason for that?
Are these characters being output literally by prin1,
and then encoded when .emacs.desktop is saved?
If that is so, there are many points in that sequence that we could change.