Re: NT Emacs crashes when selecting a menubar item

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: NT Emacs crashes when selecting a menubar item
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:07:18 -0600 (MDT)

The widget_value structures are not Lisp data; they are explicitly
allocated and freed.  So I don't think GC is responsible for this.
It appears to me that ASCII text got written throughout the
last real widget_value structure encountered:

        int help = 875524,
        Boolean enabled = 'H',
        Boolean selected = 'i',
        enum button_type button_type = 1751607660,
        Boolean title = 't',
        struct _widget_value * contents = 0x6374616d,
        XtPointer call_data = 0x20646568,
        struct _widget_value * next = 0x746e7953

This appears to say "Hilight" and "matched Synt".
(I suspect there are three other characters in between them
that did not show up in this output.)

The value of `help' is peculiar since it does not translate
into ASCII text, and yet it does not seem like a valid value
to be there (it would normally be a Lisp string object).

One interesting question is what data is in core before the start of
this object.  Is any ASCII text present there?