Re: Moving mode-line-position before global-mode-string in mode-line-for

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Moving mode-line-position before global-mode-string in mode-line-format.
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:58:04 +0000 (UTC)

   What do people think about moving mode-line-position before
   global-mode-string in mode-line-format?

Yes, I have done this for some years and like it.  It is a big
improvement.  My current mode line looks like this:

    --:**  *mail*      /home/bob    Line 15  (Mail MC-w Abbrev Fill)  All

(Although it does not particularly matter in a *mail* buffer, I always
include the default-directory in my mode line; otherwise, I get lost
among buffers that are visiting files.  Right now I have 68 buffers,
of which of which 52 are visiting files.  I spell out the word `Line'
because of a personal dislike for the plain `L', even though the plain
`L' does save screen space.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com