Re: Should lisp/Makefile.in custom-deps be using EMACS or emacs?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Should lisp/Makefile.in custom-deps be using EMACS or emacs?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:45:41 -0500

> In the case that fails, can you try running by hand under GDB the
> command that actually uses cus-dep.el and step through the code in
> init_lread which sets up load-path, to see why the installed Lisp
> directories end up in the value?  That's the only way to
> figure this out.  Treating it as a black box won't get anywhere.

OK, but I didn't realize ./src/emacs was doing anything wrong.  In
lisp/Makefile, EMACS is set to ./src/emacs and EMACS is what's used to
run custom-deps.  Isn't ./src/emacs the binary that's eventually
installed in bindir?  If so, then isn't it *supposed* to be using the
installed Lisp directories (unless it's overridden by EMACSLOADPATH or
similar)?

If that's right, then I running gdb on emacs probably won't help, but
using $(emacs) instead of $(EMACS) would (or something similar).  If
that's wrong, then part of the problem is that I'm misunderstanding
the semantics here.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu