Small Perl job for Tramp: base64 encoding/decoding

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Small Perl job for Tramp: base64 encoding/decoding
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 18:45:39 +0200

Tramp looks whether Perl is present on the remote host.  If so, it
might use that Perl for base64 encoding/decoding.  There is also some
Perl code in tramp.el which is supposed to implement the operations,
but the Perl code is said to be buggy.

Is anyone volunteering to write new Perl code to do the job?

I need two commands which read from stdin and write to stdout.  One
command encodes, the other decodes.

(There is a Perl module which I could just use, but I think that this
module is not installed by default.  So it might not work for all
Perl installations.)

(If you happen to have a solution based on sed or something, then
that'd be great, too.  The goal is that the command should work on as
many Unix systems as possible.)

Thanks,
kai