Re: NT Emacs crashes when selecting a menubar item

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: NT Emacs crashes when selecting a menubar item
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 12:52:48 -0600 (MDT)

    I worked a little more on this problem and, simply calling fprintf in
    various locations in w32menu.c (I don't have a debugger), I found that
    the function `single_submenu' seems to receive corrupted data in
    static variable `menu_items'.

You have made significant progress, but we don't know the answer yet.

Can you determine where that data becomes corrupted?
Is it written wrong at the start, or does it get
clobbered later on?

    `item_name' is a local Lisp_Object variable initialized to
    (w32menu.c::1240):

Can you determine what value item_name has at that point?
Is it a Lisp string?  If so, what is its text?

          item_name = AREF (menu_items, i + MENU_ITEMS_ITEM_NAME);

What is the value of i when the invalid data comes out?
What array index?

    It seems that f->menu_bar_vector is setup in keyboard.c in function
    `menu_bar_items'.  Maybe is there a problem here?

It could be.  Could you examine the contents of this vector
right after that function is finished?  In particular,
what is the value found at the array index that the bad data later
comes from?