Re: customize

From: Edward Welbourne
Subject: Re: customize
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:15:29 +0200

> The effect of this is that if you move the custom-set-variables
> call, it will stay put.

neat.  However, new customizations will always go at the end of the
file: if I want some elisp to be run after *everything* that customize
controls (e.g. if I want it to be the last thing my ~/.emacs does),
I'm going to have to move that elisp each time I customize anything
new ... *unless* I keep the things customize controls in a separate
file and have ~/.emacs run my elisp after loading that custom-file.
Fortunately, the variable custom-file is there to let us do this.

The only issue is ensuring that folk who're comfortable writing elisp
*do* find out about custom-file when using customize - for which it
will suffice to mention custom-file (prominently enough) on the first
page of the UI that M-x customize throws up.

The only real problem (for anyone happy to write elisp) with
configuring emacs is lack of information: until one knows the right
name to ask for help about, it can be very hard to discover any clues
... which is sort of inevitable, if somewhat frustrating at times.
Mentioning relevant names on the pages customize offers would be a
great help.

        Eddy.