Re: Reporting UTF-8 related problems?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Reporting UTF-8 related problems?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:22:33 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>  I've just commited a change to ctext-post-read-conversion
>>  (in mule.el).

> Thanks it mostly works for me.  When I yank the phrase into Emacs using
> the mouse, the right double quote becomes 2 letters wide (it look like a
> space just before the quote:

> Char: “ (0150310, 53448, 0xd0c8) point=309 of 321 (96%) column 12

This is because Emacs received this byte sequence:
        ESC $ ( B ! H
"ESC $ ( B" is a designation sequence for jisx0208,
and the following two bytes "! H" specifies the above
Japanese symbol.

This is a problem of lynx and galeon (or some core part of
gnome, I don't know).

> Another issue is you cannot kill and yank the quotation mark without
> marking it first.

I don't understand what do you mean.  "kill and yank" from
where to where?  What is the meaning of "marking it"?

>>>  Doing the same from the Gnome web browser Galeon results in
>>
>>>      ?Die Familie Schroffenstein?
>>
>>>  (literal question marks instead of Unicode quotes).  BTW, there is no
>>>  problem to paste from Galeon into an UTF-8 xterm.
>>
>>  I tried the latest Galeon.  It sends Emacs the same byte
>>  sequence as what lynx does.

> Stil wondering why Emacs treet the quotes coming from Galeon different?

No.  I think your Galeon actually sent `?' to Emacs.  My
Galeon (ver.1.2.5) sends "ESC % G ... ESC % @".

The ICCCM document distributed with XFree86 contains this
paragraph (which doesn't exist in X.V11R6's document):

UTF8_STRING as a type or a target specifies an UTF-8 encoded
string, with NEWLINE (U+000A, hex 0A) as end-of-line marker.

What I suspect is that UTF-8 xterm asks Galeon to send
selection-data by UTF8_STRING (not by TEXT as Emacs does).

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden