Re: desktop.el problem [Re: X-Symbol 4.0e; Emacs port (fwd)]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: desktop.el problem [Re: X-Symbol 4.0e; Emacs port (fwd)]
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:32:59 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>     The printed representation is just a multibyte sequence
>     starting by a new leading code assigned at the time of
>     defining the charset.

>     This new leading code can't be treated as valid in the next
>     session until the charset is defined in the same way as the
>     previous session.

> This is a serious problem.  It ought to be fixed.  One possible fix is
> to change print.c to use a hex escape for these characters.

It can't be a fix.  At the time of loading, such a hex
escape will be decoded into an integer number, but as the
number is invalid as a character code (before the
corresponding charset is defined), the loader signals an
error.

> I will write the code if you tell me how to test for a character that
> is in a nonstandard character set.

Currently we don't have a mechanism to distinguish builtin
charsets from user's charsets.  I'll implement such a
mechanism (not difficult) if it is really useful.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden