an idea about managing menu-bar by Emacs itself

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: an idea about managing menu-bar by Emacs itself
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:44:47 +0900 (JST)

This is just an idea, not deeply considered.

I've just found that tooltip is created by Emacs itself as a
special `frame', not using any toolkit.  Then, how about
creating menu-bar and pulldown menus also by Emacs itself?
The immediate benefit is that we can display any non-ASCII
characters in the pulldown menu of Edit->Select and Paste.
In addition, perhaps the user interaction can also be
programmed by normal keymap.  The demerit may be that the
look&feel will be different from the other toolkit
applications.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden