calc/ and obsolete/ aren't in subdirs.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: calc/ and obsolete/ aren't in subdirs.el
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:07:05 +0200

On the newest Changelog for changes to lisp/makefile.w32-in there is
this line:

        (bootstrap): Use `compile', not `compile-files'.  Use `update-subdirs'.

The effect of this change (and the reason why I didn't update the
bootstrap target after I commited Tak Ota's patch to fix update-subdirs'
working) is that now subdirs.el does contain neither obsolete/ nor calc/,
because the list of directories to put into subdirs.el is taken from the
WINS variable, and WINS does not include those directories.

Why, I don't know. I've just tried adding obsolete/ and calc/ to WINS
and doing:

  nmake realclean
  configure --with-msvc
  nmake bootstrap

and all works as expected. But Andrew took the trouble of creating a
compile-calc target, for reasons that I don't know (perhaps compile-time
performance, in the sense that calc is big and does not change very
often).

Anyway, either these directories are added to WINS or some other way to
get them into subdirs.el is needed, because with the current
lisp/makefile.w32-in, bootstraping and then doing M-x calc simply
doesn't work.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u