Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 22:40:27 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Can CLISP take advantage of the non-ASCII work that has gone into
>> GNOME?  This seems to be one major work item for a Guile port.
>> Leveraging on the GNOME work seem to give many modern features easily
>> (Unicode, bidi).
>
> I thought the idea was to embed a Lisp in Emacs to replace Emacs
> Lisp.  So all the coding system stuff can be taken from Mule.
>
> And then, if desired, more and more of the C stuff can be moved to
> the new Lisp, if the new Lisp can do that.

Yes, you are right, altough I think it would be nice if Emacs could
take advantage of the work that went into libc for low-level non-ASCII
manipulation, and into GNOME (GTK) for high-level non-ASCII display
(e.g., bidirectional text), instead of re-implementing it all just for
Emacs.  It doesn't seem very re-usable.  Ideally all non-ASCII stuff
should go into the lisp (CLISP or Guile) used, so other applications
than Emacs can take advantage of it.  All IMHO, of course.