Re: crash in display, triggered by calendar

From: Ed Reingold
Subject: Re: crash in display, triggered by calendar
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:51:42 -0500

> Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > diary always leaves ~/.diary with the leading newline that it adds, and
> > it has always done it.
>
> Right, although it only matters if you later edit and save the
> buffer.  It adds the newline without marking the buffer as
> modified... though I don't know what it does if the buffer's read
> only.  Seems to complain.  That should be fixable.

I thought I protected it when the buffer was read only.  What did I miss?

> I can replicate the crash, so I'll see if I can figure out why it's
> happening.

That would be great!

> > PS. may I suggest that you add some defvars in diary-lib.el to avoid
> > compiler warnings?
>
> Hmmm... I'm not sure a good idea in all the cases.  Some of the
> variables (diary-entries-list, or entry in sexp forms) never exist at
> the top level.  Ed, what do you think?

I have always thought that warnings are just that: warnings to be careful, NOT
bugs.  In this case, the warnings are meaningless, so I think the defvars are
meaningless too.  I don't object if somebody adds them, but I wouldn't bother.