Re: crash in display, triggered by calendar

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: crash in display, triggered by calendar
Date: 06 Aug 2002 11:00:59 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: crash in display, triggered by calendar "
> * Sent on Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:51:42 -0500
> * Honorable Ed Reingold <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > PS. may I suggest that you add some defvars in diary-lib.el to avoid
> > > compiler warnings?
> >
> > Hmmm... I'm not sure a good idea in all the cases.  Some of the
> > variables (diary-entries-list, or entry in sexp forms) never exist at
> > the top level.  Ed, what do you think?
>
> I have always thought that warnings are just that: warnings to be
> careful, NOT bugs.  In this case, the warnings are meaningless, so I
> think the defvars are meaningless too.  I don't object if somebody
> adds them, but I wouldn't bother.

When you get a zillion of warnings you are used to ignore, you will
miss an important one.
I suggest top-level defvar's without binding the variables.
This way you are clearly declaring that you are using these as global
specials.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>