Re: `eshell-under-cygwin-p' etc. inappropriate?

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: `eshell-under-cygwin-p' etc. inappropriate?
Date: 07 Aug 2002 06:06:12 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

> > This was a patch I suggested for the eshell XEmacs package. I'm not
> > certain it is appropriate for XEmacs, but I don't think it should
> > have been installed in Emacs.  I thought it had been rejected,
> > rightly.
>
> That's odd; I thought we had agreed to check them in.  Why should the
> XEmacs version diverge from Emacs?  Emacs runs under cygwin also.

XEmacs can be built both for Windows and for Cygwin, and the behavior
of the builds is different.  Emacs cannot be built for Cygwin, I
think.  You are right that eshell shouldn't diverge; I hadn't thought
about that in April.

> > Furthermore, `eshell-under-cygwin-p' is a misleading name: it should
> > probably be `eshell-under-xemacs-cygwin-p' or similar.
>
> Why?

Because with Emacs running on/under Cygwin it will return nil.  It
really only tests whether you have the XEmacs Cygwin build.

> > I don't understand why these changes were installed now, four months
> > after they were suggested.
>
> If you want them removed, I will remove them.  It's been four months
> because that's how long it's taken me to get back to my Emacs work.

Maybe `eshell-under-cygwin-p' should be called something else?

--
John Paul Wallington