Endless Loop with diary entries

From: Harald . Maier . BW
Subject: Endless Loop with diary entries
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 08:24:52 +0200

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Hello all,

I followed the discussion in the emacs-devel mailing list about the
calendar problem. On my system I figured out a similar problem that is
too related to this problem. If I execute the following lines in a
.emacs file then the current cvs emacs (see the compilation date)
hangs in a endless loop in xdisp.c. Personal, I don't think that this
problem is related to the author of the diary system. The problem
seems to be related to the changes in xdisp.c because before Aug 8 it
worked fine and I also don't have problems with emacs-21.2.90.

,----[ .emacs ]
`----

,----[ ~/diary ]
| Aug 12
|       Test
`----

If I do a

  kill -TSTP <pid>

then gdb stops for example in this functions:

  get_next_display_element (it=0xbfffdaa4)         at xdisp.c:4230
  next_element_from_display_vector (it=0xbfffdaa4) at xdisp.c:4592
  set_iterator_to_next (it=0xbfffdaa4, reseat_p=0) at xdisp.c:4409
  next_element_from_display_vector (it=0xbfffe244) at xdisp.c:4554

Harald

,----[ version info ]
| In GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.1.10)
|  of 2002-08-06 on eos
| configured using `configure --with-x-toolkit=motif'
|
| Important settings:
|   value of $LC_ALL: nil
|   value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
|   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
|   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
|   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
|   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
|   value of $LC_TIME: nil
|   value of $LANG: address@hidden
|   locale-coding-system: iso-latin-9
|   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t
|
| Recent input:
| <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
| <menu-bar> <help-menu> <report-emacs-bug>
|
| Recent messages:
| (/home/maierh/build/cvs/emacs/src/emacs -q --no-site-file -l
/home/maierh/build/cvs/test/.emacs)
`----