Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile
Date: 08 Aug 2002 18:06:18 +0200

> In fact, it would simplify matters greatly if Emacs can specify where
> a thread switch may occur.  Is that implemented in Guile?

Yes.  We only support cooperative threads right now and thread
switches can only occur during calls to some specific functions like
'yield', 'lock-mutex', ' wait-condition-variable', etc.  You also need
to call SCM_TICK occasionally in long runnning computations to allow
other threads to run.  However, there is no way to prevent 'yield' or
SCM_TICK from switching during critical sections.  You have to use
mutex for this.