Re: [patch] enhancement to set-variable to set buffer-locally

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [patch] enhancement to set-variable to set buffer-locally
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:37:43 -0400

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 09:02:05PM -0400, Benjamin Rutt wrote:
> So, I decided to write a patch that would watch for a prefix arg given
> to the function `set-variable' such that the variable would be set in
> a buffer-local fashion (by calling `make-local-variable').

This seems like a nice idea, but the prompt `Set foo to local value' is wierd
-- it seems to associate `local' with the value _before_ setting, which
doesn't make any sense.

I think something like `Set foo locally in buffer to value' would be better
(if you don't like the length, you could get rid of `in buffer', but I think
it makes the meaning much more clear).

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.