Re: scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 03:12:56 -0400

> >     IIRC, the scroll bar callback is invoked with action information only,
> > Could you explain what "action information" means?
> I meant "user action".  In the Motif case, for example the scroll bar
> callback in invoked for user action meaning "line down", "page up" etc.

Indeed.  And the translation from up/down/move X-events into those
"user actions" depends on the toolkit and is mostly outside the
control of Emacs.  In the case of Xaw3d, this translation can
be customized by the user via Xresources with something like:

*Scrollbar*translations:       #override \
     <Btn1Down>:   StartScroll(Forward) NotifyScroll(Proportional) \n\
     <Btn2Down>:   StartScroll(Continuous) MoveThumb() NotifyThumb() \n\
     <Btn3Down>:   StartScroll(Backward) NotifyScroll(Proportional) \n\
     <Btn2Motion>: MoveThumb() NotifyThumb() \n\
     <BtnUp>:      EndScroll()

Note that just like all those Xresources things, it doesn't always
work with all applications, or you sometimes need to explicitly
specify the application name because of precedence between overlapping
specifications, ...

        Stefan