Re: IRC client for Emacs

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: IRC client for Emacs
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:14:23 +0200

> Would people like to compare the merits of the various Emacs IRC clients?

Here is a copy of
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?InternetRelayChat.
I would like to see more recommendations on that page.
All I know that the users on #emacs @opn use ERC or a client not based
on Emacs.

Alex.

[Home]InternetRelayChat

SiteMap | RecentChanges | Preferences
There are various IRC channels dedicated to Emacs around. Here is a list of the
known ones:

  * #emacs @ [irc.openprojects.net] (see EmacsChannel)
  * #mygnus @ irc.my.gnus.org

Clients

There are also Emacs based IRC clients:

  * EmacsIRCClient aka ERC.
  * IrChat
  * LieceIrcClient
  * ZenIRC

Emacs IRC Client Recommendations

I use ERC. -- AlexSchroeder

I use ERC (EmacsIRCClient) too:

Some comments about clients I tried:

If you are looking for a client which does it "the Emacs way", ZenIRC and ERC
are definitely for you. ERC has some extra features over ZenIRC like colour
display as well as the possibility to display a separate info buffer for every
channel. Have a look at both and compare them yourself.

Liece (LieceIrcClient) and IrChat both take a somewhat different approach. You
get an input buffer for commands and a separate buffer where the channel/query
content go into. Some people like that. IrChat is kind of freaky because it
supports different cryptographic algorithms as well as DCC implemented through
an external perl script.

For EmacSpeak users, there are speech enabling extension for EmacsIRCClient and
ZenIRC. I have also written erc-speak.el which allows you to listen to channel
content using EmacSpeak. You can grab erc-speak.el from the EmacsIRCClient CVS.

-- MarioLang

me too! I use ERC!! --ShaeErisson

I love ERC. Man, It just rocks -- GirishB
CategoryHelp
SiteMap | RecentChanges | Preferences
Edit text of this page | View other revisions
Last edited May 24, 2002 1:38 (diff)
Search: [                    ]