Re: tramp

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: tramp
Date: 13 Aug 2002 14:52:57 +0900

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >       tramp: Looking for pattern ^\(([^)    ]*)\|[^>        ]*[>]\)\s-*
>
> This looks like your shell-prompt-pattern.  Is it?

Ah, perhaps it is.  Since shell-prompt-pattern is basically not used anymore,
I had forgotten that I had one.  However, in this case it's still clearly
wrong, since it's not _my_ shell that's being started, but root's.

> At this point, Tramp is again waiting for shell-prompt-pattern, and
> this shell prompt does not match the regexp above.
>
> It used to be that Tramp tried to grok some common shell prompts in
> addition to shell-prompt-pattern.  Maybe I should re-add this feature.

I think it _definitely_ should match common shell prompts, as
`shell-prompt-pattern' is quite likely to be wrong, for the reasons I gave
above:

 (1) It's not used by shell-mode anymore, so it's going to suffer bit-rot.

 (2) In many cases, a shell started by tramp will be in a `different
     context' than a normal user-shell, and so will have a different
     prompt anyway.

Probably it ought to be possible to modify this on a per-connection-type and
per-machine basis (but presumably that will be handled by the whizzy config
mechanism that will added to address other problems, right?).

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein