Re: Several serious problems

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Several serious problems
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:30:23 -0400

> >> I can unify a-umlaut from latin-2; but unification does not take place
> >> for characterslike "LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH STROKE" (x0142).
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean "the unification does not take
> > place".
[...]
> Emacs (RC) isn't able to unify the buffer to UTF-8 (it proposes
> "x-ctext" etc.); but Emacs (trunk version) can save the buffer UTF-8
> encoded.  Hope this helps.

Indeed, the safe-charsets property of the utf-8 coding-system has not been
updated to list the extra charsets it can now encode.
In the trunk utf-8.el says:

 '((safe-charsets
    ascii
    eight-bit-control
    eight-bit-graphic
    latin-iso8859-1
    latin-iso8859-15
    latin-iso8859-14
    latin-iso8859-9
    hebrew-iso8859-8
    greek-iso8859-7
    cyrillic-iso8859-5
    latin-iso8859-4
    latin-iso8859-3
    latin-iso8859-2
    vietnamese-viscii-lower
    vietnamese-viscii-upper
    thai-tis620
    ipa
    ethiopic
    indian-is13194
    katakana-jisx0201
    chinese-sisheng
    lao
    mule-unicode-0100-24ff
    mule-unicode-2500-33ff
    mule-unicode-e000-ffff)

where in the RC branch it only says

 '((safe-charsets
    ascii
    eight-bit-control
    eight-bit-graphic
    latin-iso8859-1
    mule-unicode-0100-24ff
    mule-unicode-2500-33ff
    mule-unicode-e000-ffff)

And turning on unify-8859-on-encoding-mode doesn't update the corresponding
info either.
I think Dave or Handa would now better how to fix that (whether
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode should change the safe-charsets or whether
it should simply always include the new charsets and load ucs-tables
when needed.  And also which charsets should be added).
Thank you for pointing it out.

        Stefan