Re: Several serious problems

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Several serious problems
Date: 15 Aug 2002 18:23:31 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> > I cannot save the file lisp/ChangeLog.  It specifies coding system
> > iso-2022-7bit, but it contains something that cannot be encoded in that
> > coding system.  I don't know any way to find the text that causes the
> > problem; essentially I am helpless.
> >
> > Handa-san, would you please clean up whatever is wrong with that file
> > so that it can save properly once again?
> >
> > We MUST do something to make it easier for users to cope with such a
> > situation.  We talked about this a few weeks ago but nothing was done.
>
> Dave Love has code for it (and has posted it here).
> I can't check it in, so could someone else take care of it ?
>

>       Stefan "who pleads guilty of delaying this patch"

I don't know what that refers to.

I suspect the problem concerns eight-bit-... characters.  If you
search for them, you have to get the multibyteness of the search
string right in a way I always have to look up.  [vc-annotate should
show you what edit was responsible.]

However, I installed code in `select-safe-coding-system' some time ago
which should point to the first offending character when selection
fails.  (As far as I remember, that was supposed to be done long ago,
but never was.)  If the development source doesn't show you the
offending character and advocate C-u C-x =, there's something wrong
with that code.