Re: `buffer-list' and the frame-parameter `buffer-predicate'

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: `buffer-list' and the frame-parameter `buffer-predicate'
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:15:22 +0000 (UTC)

    a frame-local minor mode ... to "dedicate" a frame to a certain
    pre-configured type of buffers.

This is a great idea!  Instead of being a spatial constraint system in
which, for example, a mode line goes below a working buffer and a
scroll bar goes on one side, this is a `concepts constraint system' in
which concepts of a given sort are held together.

I have used this sort of scheme in the past:  when I worked on images
and graphics for my neice's Web site, I switched from my usual TWM
window manager to a GNOME/sawfish window manager with four virtual
screens (or viewpoints -- I don't know the jargon).

In one screen, I put my Emacs that showed both my `how-to add new
horse pictures to Cathy's site so she can sell them', and the source
for the Web page.  In another screen, I put the GIMP, with several
images.  In another screen, I put a graphical Web browser, so I could
see the results of my work.  I would shift among screens as I cropped
the pictures, put frames around them, added them and the accompanying
text to the page sources, and looked at them in the graphical browser.

It was convenient to put similar tasks together.

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com