address@hidden: Scroll bars]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: Scroll bars]
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 22:50:57 -0600 (MDT)

Yet another user is saying that the scroll bar works all wrong.  I
suspect that his Xaw3d copy was compiled with the wrong options.  (I
sent him mail to ask.)

You wrote:

    > Is there no way for Emacs to control this behavior independent of
    > how the library was compiled?

    No.  The appearance is different (with extra arrow-buttons at
    each end) already.

We are failing to communicate, because that difference in appearance
is not the issue.  The issue not whether there are arrows.  The issue
is what actions the mouse buttons do when clicked on, above, and below
the slider.  That is what I mean by behavior.

The presence or absence of arrows has no intrinsic relation to the
behavior of the mouse buttons in any given place (other than the
arrows, of course).

                        You can influence the behavior via Xresources,
    so you can bring them closer to each other if you really want to,
    but it would still not be the same anyway.

It seems clear that many users are going to be extremely
unhappy with the meanings of the buttons with the non-arrow version.
We need to develop code *in Emacs* to manipulate these Xresources
(or use some other method) so as to make the scroll bar work the way
users expect.

Can you help?

It would be even nicer to give Emacs the ability to select one
behavior or another, controlled by a Lisp variable.  That might not be
much extra difficulty once someone has implemented the mechanism for
Emacs to control this behavior.  However, simply making Xaw3d always
use a LessTif-style behavior would be a big step forward.