Re: `buffer-list' and the frame-parameter `buffer-predicate'

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: `buffer-list' and the frame-parameter `buffer-predicate'
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:12:13 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>> Now I understand.  The idea of limiting which buffers you can switch
>> to is not the issue, I think.  What you want to do is limit that
>> buffers are included in lists that are shown or offered to you.
>>
>> It should be easy to do as a customization that by writing
>> replacements for the buffer menu commands, for list-buffers, and for
>> switch-to-buffer (supplying a different list for completion, perhaps).
>> I suggest you give these commands new names and bind them to keys as
>> you see fit.  That is cleaner than redefiniting the standard
>> functions.
>
> I think this is not the right solution, as there are a lot of
> functions that list buffers (either as completions, like
> switch-to-buffer, or as a menu, like buffer-menu).

Just an addition:

This issue is not only related to the functions of the type
`buffer-menu' and of the type `switch-to-buffer'. It is does also
matter for packages that provide ways to cycle through the buffer-list
via simple keystrokes.

Here are a few examples from my personal Wiki:

,----
|     - buffer-stack.el
|     http://www.sixfingeredman.net/proj/xemacs/buffer-stack.el
|     Beschrieben in <address@hidden>.
|
|     - ibs.el
|     http://www.geekware.de/software/emacs/ibs.el
|
|     - swbuf.el
|     http://perso.wanadoo.fr/david.ponce/downloads/swbuff-3.1.zip
|
|     - swbuff-advice.el
|     http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs/swbuff-advice.el
`----

[Disclaimer: Personally I have tested none of them.]

    -- Oliver

--
1 Fructidor an 210 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!