Re: same-window-buffer-names and -regexps

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: same-window-buffer-names and -regexps
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:24:26 -0400

> One solution would be to have M-x shell and friends check these
> variables (instead of having display-buffer do that directly) and
> then have these functions pass an appropriate flag to display-buffer.

I like this solution.
When I display-buffer *shell* I generally don't want it to be in the
same window.  The only exception is when I do M-x shell.
The problem with temporarily binding same-window-buffer-names to nil
is that it needs to be done for many different cases (basically
all the cases that do something similar to "select the specified
buffer" and there are many, including in many separate packages
providing some buffe-switching or buffer-listing replacement).

        Stefan