Re: comint read-only prompt

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: comint read-only prompt
Date: 21 Aug 2002 10:36:46 +0900

JD Smith <address@hidden> writes:
> The problem is in assuming every send-input will automatically be
> followed by a call to the output-filter.  I'm not familiar with how
> other modes use comint, but I'd bet setting your own process-filter
> (e.g. to send hidden commands) is not too uncommon.

If you don't expect any output following the input you send, you can
call `process-send-string' instead of `comint-send-string'.  That will
avoid the snapshotting.

> A proposed solution: if snapshot were moved to the beginning of the
> output-filter, these problems would disappear.

That would be completely wrong.  The reason why `prompt snapshotting'
is done when the user sends input is because that's the only time you
can be pretty sure that what the overlay covers is _actually_ a prompt.

[Normal shell output contains lots of things that appear to be prompts,
but in fact are not; they are briefly displayed as if they were prompts,
but when more output arrives, the overlay is moved, and so the incorrect
display is removed.]

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge