Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: 21 Aug 2002 11:33:06 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> > > Now, if you enable display-time and display-battery,
> > > which adds time and battery status, e.g. 15:57 [95%],
> > > to that part of the mode line as well, it's a total mess.
> >
> > I'd like to display such global information not in the mode
> > line but, for instance, at the right end of menu bar, or
> > tool bar if they exist.
>
> Hmm, that seems like a great idea (for global info like that).
>
> I think the menu-bar would be better, since I don't use a tool-bar...:-/
>
> I don't think it would be too hard to hack something like that into the
> lucid toolkit that comes with emacs, but I have no idea about other
> toolkits.

I guess it could always be done using a "tool-tip" like approach, ie.
by displaying the information in a separate "global-mode-frame".

That would allow users to position that frame on title-bar,
menu-bar, tool-bar, or below the emacs frame; but that could be
used for more things (e.g. ediff frame) and other stuff as well.

Would need some ways to control where that frame is displayed
relative to the currently active emacs frame.