Re: comint read-only prompt

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: comint read-only prompt
Date: 22 Aug 2002 11:35:13 +0900

> Yes, I agree.  In some cases people might want to edit the last
> prompt, too.  Yet there are also cases (as has been said) where they
> would tend to do so by mistake and it would be useful to prevent them.
>
> Perhaps instead of trying to distinguish these cases based on which
> prompt is being edited, we should try to distinguish between different
> commands.

If just rebinding DEL to abort when it hits the prompt would be enough,
then that seems like it might be a good idea (and could even be turned
on by default, probably).  But I don't think this particular case
warrants any more effort than that, if making the current prompt
read-only would be simpler.

[People already think of the current prompt as something special (`it's
the current prompt!'), but tend to think of old prompts as simply being
part of the text of the session, not as something special.]

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?