Escaping from emacs is too easy :-)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Escaping from emacs is too easy :-)
Date: 23 Aug 2002 17:24:16 +0200

A long time ago, when I first started using emacs, one of the first
key bindings which I decided to change was: C-x C-c

Both C-x and C-c are used very frequently as prefix keys, and being
located right next to each other, I found it just too easy to hit
both by mistake.

Now that CUA has arrived, using C-x and C-c will become even more
frequent for some users...

I'm using C-x C-c C-x instead of C-x C-c to exit emacs:

(global-set-key "\C-x\C-c"      'nil)
(global-set-key "\C-x\C-c\C-x"  'save-buffers-kill-emacs)

I find it trivial to type that extra C-x, but contrary to the standard
binding, I've _NEVER_ entered the C-x C-c C-x sequence by mistake.

     So, I propose to change the default binding to C-x C-c C-x.

Naturally, changing a long-lived binding like that may aggrevate a lot
of old users, but my belief is that they will quickly adapt (or install
the old binding :-)

I guess we could help them on the way like this:

They enter C-x C-c   ... and they expect something to happen...

A few secs later, C-x C-c- appears in the echo area, so they'll know
they are expected to type another character.

Of course, they wont know what to type next the first time they get
that far [unless they have read the NEWS file of course], but we could
bind C-x C-c C-h and C-x C-c ? to a message saying to use C-x C-c C-x
to exit emacs.

WDYT?