Re: IRC client for Emacs

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: IRC client for Emacs
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 13:03:40 +0900

> The program that Daiki <address@hidden> sent also seems to create
> a symbol for each string.  I am not certain, though, because
> it has very few comments.

Yes, it doesn't bring striking performance in comparison with obarrays.
Sorry for any confusion.

> Daiki, could you see if it runs fast enough if you store the
> message catalog as a simple alist?

Yes, I'll try and let you know how it goes.

> It might even be fast enough to store the message catalog as text in a
> buffer--and that would use up much less space.

An MO file has its own internal hash table which is used to relate an
original string to the file position.  However, the hashing algorithm is
dependent on gettext internals (See "(gettext)MO Files" for details).
That is why I gave up the idea of searching in a buffer when I wrote
gettext.el.

Anyway, I really wish Emacs could have the feature to read *.mo files,
since it appears to be a standard way for localization of GNU software.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno