correct way to do state machines in elisp?

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: correct way to do state machines in elisp?
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:35:21 -0700

I have written a bot in C; source here:
   http://reactor-core.org/linuxos/bot.c

As I was writing it, I couldn't help thinking, there must be a way to
write the same thing in LISP, with 1/3 the lines of code.  The largest
guzzler of lines of code I think is the state machine that parses every
RFC compliant IRC message into a suitable structure.

Can anyone give me hints about how the same thing could be done better
in elisp?  I'm reluctant to use regular expressions for this.

Jonathan

--
                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2