Re: regex and case-fold-search problem

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: regex and case-fold-search problem
Date: 26 Aug 2002 11:31:03 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> > As Miles wrote, it does make a perfect sense in a context of a
> > specific language.  For example, if the characters that designate the
> > range are all Cyrillic characters, the range is sensible.
>
> It makes sense only when we assume some character set (or locale).
> For instance, in Emacs 21, Cyrillic characters has the same code order
> as that of iso-8859-5.  But, in emacs-unicode, we use Unicode.  So, a
> Cyrillic char range that works well in Emacs 21 won't work in
> emacs-unicode.

I don't think it really matters.

As I said in a previous message, the question is not `does [A-Z] make
sense?', but rather: `_if_ [A-Z] makes sense, does [a-z] make sense
too?'

If someone writes [<cyrillic-char>-<chinese_char>] then they they get
what they deserve; it's not emacs' fault.

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.