problem with mh-e and 2002-08-20 change to font-core.el

From: y
Subject: problem with mh-e and 2002-08-20 change to font-core.el
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 03:38:07 -0400

It seems that this change:

2002-08-20  Richard M. Stallman  <address@hidden>

        * font-core.el (font-lock-change-mode): New function.
        (font-lock-mode): Use font-lock-change-mode instead of
        font-lock-unfontify-buffer.
        (font-lock-maximum-size, font-lock-verbose): Add defvars.

Causes a problem with mh-e (if the mh-show buffer enables font-lock,
such as with global-font-lock-mode).  Specifically, this change causes
any visited message buffer to be marked as modified when mh-e attempts
to display the second (and subsequent) message in a folder, and so
triggers mh-e's ``Message 920 modified; flush changes? (yes or no) ''
behavior.  I've temporarily backed out this change in my local emacs to
verify that the problem goes away.

It seems that this change (removing the properties) is a good change,
and I recall it being discussed on emacs-devel, but I only lightly
skimmed the discussion, and I don't have any strong ideas about how to
resolve this conflict.

chad