Re: Sesquicolon -- Note: Not a Bug

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Sesquicolon -- Note: Not a Bug
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:51:56 -0600 (MDT)

    > Would that do the job?  I don't know the precise rules of what #! can
    > do.  If that would do the job, it is a fine solution.  We could call
    > it --script.

    To the best of my knowledge, you're allowed exactly one option (which
    will go before the filename).

Are you saying that Emacs would be called with two arguments,
the option and a file name?

If so, we should not use -batch for this.  To special-case the
combination of --batch and a file name is a double-level kludge,
because each of those arguments normally has a different and
incompatible meaning.  For the combination of the two to do something
special is too inconsistent.

Let's make a new option --script for this purpose.