Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Michael Kifer
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:28:35 -0400

Miles,
If I understand you correctly, almost everything that you have described is
already there and is available from the menus.

80% of ediff's functionality can be figured out without reading the
manual. Did you ever try to hit the "?" mark in that small window or try to
experiment with Menubar.Tools."Ediff Miscellanea"?
But RTFM is always a good idea.

Anyway, if you have a better design, the field is wide open. I just want
to air my opinion on one suggestion of yours: If all the state is contained
in *both* buffers (or 3 buffers), as you suggest, then it is a *bad*
idea. The state should be in *one* buffer, as it is in Ediff. It was
designed this way because it is important to be able to run multiple
simultaneous diffing sessions that involve overlapping buffers or
parts of buffers.

One thing that Ediff doesn't do (among the things that you have listed) is
to give the user complete control of how exactly the windows should look
like. It has its own idea (although it is more flexible than you probably
think). But if you RTMF, you will see that all this is just one
variable/function, which you can customize. If you have the time and a
design, you can write your own window setup function and offer it to the
world.

        --michael