find-alternate-file and kill-buffer-query-functions

From: Noah Friedman
Subject: find-alternate-file and kill-buffer-query-functions
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:01:19 -0700 (PDT)

I've been wondering why it was that sometimes all my shell buffers and
other things I had protected from accidentally killing with a hook on
kill-buffer-query-functions, would sometimes get killed anyway when I
marked everything for deletion in the buffer menu.

It turns out that find-alternate-file is setting
kill-buffer-query-functions to nil; this was a change made 2002-07-14.

This variable is not buffer-local by default.  I think you need to
let-bind it carefully using something like the logic below:

    (unless (eq (current-buffer) obuf)
      ;; We already asked; don't ask again.
      (save-excursion
        ;; switch to buffer before shadowing query functions, in case
        ;; they are buffer-local
        (set-buffer obuf)
        (let ((kill-buffer-query-functions nil))
          (kill-buffer obuf))))