Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: 28 Aug 2002 17:54:40 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> Note that where the old (and still available) bindings use separate
> commands for ending and calling a keyboard macro, the new bindings
> merges the ending and calling onto the same key.  So kmacro just needs
> two [function] keys rather than three.

I think the merging of `end-kmacro-definition' and `execute-kmacro' is
clever and useful.

> With the new bindings this is quite different:
>
>         F3 C-e ; C-n F4 F4 F4 F4
>
> That's just 11 key strokes - of which the last 4 are on the same key -
> so it more like 8 individual key strokes and a little extra tapping on
> the last key.  And only three modifier keys are used.

I think you're obsessing way too much on `keystrokes'.  I suspect the
mental overhead of being careful to make your actions repeatable,
completely swamps the savings of two or three strokes.

[Also, for a touch-typist, it's probably _faster_ to type `C-x (' than
it is to type F3 -- and the former is clearly easier to remember!]

> I'm providing a default binding which makes a _big_ difference in
> usability for the average user.

You haven't shown that.  I'm sure you love this system, but as you said,
you've used it for 10 years, so I think you're really not a very good judge.

Your idea of an easy-to-hit combined end-execute key _is_ very good, and
probably worth adding; but surely we can come up with something better
than a function key!

Hell, why not just make `C-x e' end the macro as well as executing it,
and then use Stefan's idea of allowing the `e' to be repeated
indefinitely [or something similar]?  That would gain most of the
savings of your approach, while maintaining the existing
easy-to-remember bindings for macros.

> If _you_ don't need it or want it ... just rebind it.

We shouldn't just add every new feature that comes to mind, without
giving it a bit of debate.  Saying `well you can rebind it' is rather
lame...

-Miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that