Re: address@hidden: Re: [Fwd: vc-annotate causes Emacs to die]]

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Fwd: vc-annotate causes Emacs to die]]
Date: 28 Aug 2002 12:07:39 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Gerd Moellmann) writes:
> > The cursor shape for a bar cursor in non-selected windows has become a
> > thin bar cursor.  Default: 2 pixels in selected window, 1 pixel in
> > other windows.
>
> Oh, I see; I don't use a bar-cursor.
>
> I can see some logic behind the new behavior, though -- if non-selected
> windows use a hollow-box cursor even when the select-window cursor is a
> bar, it seems as if it would make the non-selected windows stand out
> _more_ than the select window, which seems wrong...

The 1 pixel difference can be very hard to see; I think it's a
difference of ~0.2 mm on my monitor with a horz resolution of 1600.
Without looking close and comparing cursors, I personally can't tell
what is what.  And that's with my glasses on :).

Another issue is that other programs, notably xterm, display a hollow
box cursor when not selected.  (Some programs, like KDE editors, don't
display a cursor when not selected; I think that's a mistake.)  In any
case, if the hollow box were used consistently, it's appearance on a
window would clearly signal ``this window is not selected''.  If each
app uses its own idea of non-selected window cursor, things become
ambiguous.  I mentioned xterm, because it comes with X, and I think
it's a good move to be consistent with its UI, lacking an X style
guide.