Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: 28 Aug 2002 15:37:50 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
   I would _love_ an interface like that -- it's definitely true that it's
   currently very annoying to hit `C-x e' repeatedly.

When I create a macro, I always put a C-xq command in it, and end it
with M-0C-x), so it repeats indefinitely until I press SPC and stops as
soon as I press C-g.

This behaviour could be made standard for kmacro, perhaps, without the
need of putting a C-xq inside the macro just for this purpose.

   [by contrast, the F3/F4 interface seems very blah to me; I guess I just
   don't like function keys, they seem far too arbitrary]

In my opinion, F1 and F10 are well chosen.  F2 makes no sense to me.  A
precious function key wasted for a seldom used functionality.  And as
long as the other function keys are concerned, I do not think that
casually assigning them is a good idea.  Either let them free for the
user, or else carefully plan how to use them.

If we want to make life easier for newbies, for example, F2 and F3 are
traditionally used to open a file (find-file) and save it (save-buffer),
and F4 to select a block (set-mark-command).

As far as kmacro is concerned, I'd have no objections to, say S-f5 and
S-f6.