Re: occur-mode-hook run too early to be useful

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: occur-mode-hook run too early to be useful
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:29:24 +0200

> But in this case things aren't that clear, as the distinction between
> code in occur-mode and code in occur-1 seems rather arbitrary:
>
>  1. occur-mode is only called from occur-1
>  2. occur-mode is called unconditionally
>  3. occur-1 is the engine to all the interactive occur functions
>  4. M-x occur-mode in a non-occur buffer is meaningless
>  5. occur-mode-hook now serves almost no practical purpose

How about making the distinction less arbitrary?

How about this:  Rename occur-mode to occur-setup or occur-initialize
or occur-frobnicate, make a new function occur-mode which just sets up
keymaps and such stuff, call that function at the end of occur-1 and
run the hook from there.  WDYT?

Caveat: I haven't even looked at the code!

kai