Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: 29 Aug 2002 16:35:35 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> > Maybe it would be sensible to make this customizeable, e.g.
> > kmacro-call-repeat-key which defaults to `e' or ` ' or nil.
>
> I think repeating "the last key" is the best choice, in case the command
> is bound to something else than C-x e.  Also this mimics the C-x z z z z
> behavior, so there's a precedent for it.

I've implemented this.

New custom variables are kmacro-call-repeat-key and
kmacro-call-repeat-with-arg so both you and Miles will be happy.

In addition C-x e will now end the macro (like C-x )) if it is current
defining a macro rather than signalling an error.  And you can repeat it
immediately with `e'...

> Because I don't want to see the interface I use (i.e. C-x (, C-x )
> and C-x e) take second class status and have all the improvement go
> on F3 and F4 bindings.

This is unfounded.  I think I'm pretty receptive to the requests and
ideas from users to add features that I'd never use myself.

In the case of kmacro, you just got what you asked for :-)

> My experience is similar to Miles: the problem is not the time it takes
> to hit C-x ( and C-x ), but the effort it takes to make your key sequence
> repeatable.

For non-trivial tasks that is true.  For trivial tasks, it does make a
(huge) difference to me.  YMMV.

>  I'd rather see the `edit-kbd-macro' kind of functionality
> improved/supplemented with something lighter weight so I can fix my macros
> "on the fly" as I see them fail (no I don't know what that would look
> like, sadly).

That's a nice idea.

Maybe something like "step through macro" with the ability:

For each key sequence, ask user for confirmation:

 SPC to accept the last action and executes the next,
 DEL to undo the last action and removes it from the macro,
 C-x ( ... C-x ) allows you to add actions in the middle of the macro, and
 RET simply accepts the rest of the macro.

WDYT?

> And yes, I think it's important to have a "single-key repeat", which
> is why I find C-x e e e e e so valuable (and it makes the need for
> a single-key binding such as F4 unnecessary).

Agree to first part, disagree on second part!