Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug
Date: 31 Aug 2002 01:56:55 +0200

>     * there is a new alternate-cursor-type (similar to cursor-type) which
>       you can (buffer local) set to get the blink off cursor type.
>
> What use is this feature?  I don't think we should have it unless
> there is a specific reason for it.

The rationale was that since we can set the cursor-type per-buffer,
we should also be able to set the blink off state in a buffer-local manner.

However, this can be achieved by making blink-cursor-alist buffer
local and set that, so this is indeed superfluous.

I'll remove it.

>     * blink-cursor-alist is now consulted also if you set buffer-local
>       variable cursor-type different from nil and t.
>
> Wasn't that already so?  If not, I guess you fixed a simple bug.

The doc-string said so, but in practice, the blink-cursor-alist was
only consulted when setting the cursor-type frame parameter; the
blink-cursor-alist was not consulted if the (buffer-local) variable
cursor-type was set to a specific cursor type.