Re: Suggestion: Simple way to make conditional key bindings.

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Simple way to make conditional key bindings.
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:27:07 -0400 (EDT)

   >     ... C-h k C-y will report yank or yank-with-properties
   >     depending on the actual function taken if you hit C-y. ....

   > .... sometimes it will be better for C-h k to give the doc string
   > for the specific command that will be executed.

   Agreed.  But in the example he gave I think that a docstring that
   describes the range of behavior rather than the specific command is
   better, because you can't expect the user to know that the current
   string is "special".

Yes:  the user may not know or remember the range.  (At the moment,
for example, I am in the middle of a long airplane flight and too
exhausted to remember much, even though some of the time I am quite
good.)

At the same time, for this sort of command, which operates differently
in different contexts, the docstring should describe what the command
will do specifically in this situation.

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com