Re: Several serious problems

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Several serious problems
Date: 31 Aug 2002 18:30:42 +0100

> I don't follow the logic here.  Why can't we just change the
> safe-charsets property?

If you change safe-charsets without changing what the CCL actually
encodes, you're just courting data corruption.
E.g. find-coding-systems-... will report utf-8 for lao text, but if
you encode it, you'll just get U+FFFDs.

> If we can't save latin-N characters as utf-8, that is a bug.

[You argued against that before.]

Why just Latin-N, and why just as utf-8?  There shouldn't be anything
special about Latin.  That version of utf-8.el can't encode
cyrillic-iso8859-5, for instance, and the Cyrillic coding systems
can't encode the relevant characters from mule-unicode-0100-24ff.

Is it also a bug that utf-8 can't encode the CJK space or that the CJK
sets can't encode equivalent characters from other sets (which I
haven't tried to address and people probably don't care about)?