Re: callint.c:506

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: callint.c:506
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:13:37 +0200

>   > Why do you want to advise read-command?
>   Emacspeak advices nearly every interactive function to get spoken prompts.
>
> Do you really mean that each and every command (interactively callable
> function) in Emacs has an advice in Emacspeak?  What a horribly
> cumbersome method that is.
Indeed, it appears that emacspeak advises alot of interactive
commands to get spoken feedback.  I agree that the method is a bit
cumbersome but it appears there was no other way to achieve
the same result.

> Or do you really mean something else when you say "interactive
> function"?  I suspect maybe you do, because read-command is not an
> interactive function (it has no `interactive' spec).
I mean, Emacspeak advises most functions which actually do
interaction with the user.  This includes functions with
the interactive spec, and functions doing any kind of input/output.

> Emacspeak is important enough, and the general class of applications
> it belongs to is important enough, that it would be worth while to add
> features to make such a thing easy to do.
This is good to hear.

>     2. Introduce a new hook (prompt-hook?) which would get called
>     for every minibuffer prompt displayed.
>
>     Solution 2 seems more involved, but it would make things more cleaner
>     imo.
>
> Is minibuffer-setup-hook sufficient to do the job?  If not, we could
> add some other hook.

It should work if combined with `last-command'.  I see that emacspeak
does something based on `minibuffer-setup-hook' already, but
unfortunately in those cases, defadvice is still used.
I'd prefer if the use of defadvice could be reduced.

Anyway, I'll have to investigate this a bit more and will report
back if I can find anything we could do to Emacs directly to improve
the situation.

--
CYa,
  Mario