Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 09:14:26 -0400

    A _much_ better idea, I think, would be to make it very simple for even
    novice users to easily _bind_ the function keys to their liking; I'm not
    saying it's all that hard now, but I mean, make it really, really, easy.

I would really like to see someone extend Custom to handle key bindings.

    For instance, a mode that shows a graphical representation of the function
    keys and their current bindings, and allows the user to trivially change
them.
    Perhaps by moving the cursor to a function key picture, and hitting SPC/RET
    which would make it prompt for a another key-binding, and then copy that to
    the function key;

That sounds nice.

     while in this special mode, it might even locally rebind
    all the function keys so that you could just hit e.g. `F5 C-x C-f' to bind
F5
    to find-file.

I think that is too inconsistent and brings a risk of error.