Re: Several serious problems

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Several serious problems
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 20:01:55 -0400

    Why just Latin-N, and why just as utf-8?

I am talking about that issue because that is the issue someone
raised.  I don't know what other issue there is.  Could you tell us?

                                              There shouldn't be anything
    special about Latin.

Latin-N character sets are very important in practice.  It is also
possible that they are easier to handle than some other character sets
(but I don't know whether that is the case here).  Those two factors
are directly relevant to whether it is worth fixing this case in RC.
The factors might be different for another character set.

    Is it also a bug that utf-8 can't encode the CJK space or that the CJK
    sets can't encode equivalent characters from other sets (which I
    haven't tried to address and people probably don't care about)?

That is certainly a bug.  The question is whether this bug may not be
worth fixing in RC.